Our Walk Leader training is for anyone willing and able to lead health walks in Lewisham. It is designed by Ramblers Walking for Health and delivered by local ‘cascade trainers’. The aim of the training is to ensure that all walk leaders are trained to a high standard and can competently and confidently lead short, free health walks.
Walk Leader’s roles are:
- To lead safe and enjoyable walking sessions for people of all ages and abilities
- To promote the health benefits of walking and motivate people to take up walking as a form of physical recreation
- To help people adapt health walking to meet their individual needs
The first part of the course will be on Zoom, then we will meet for a short walk led by the trainer focusing on best practise, risk assessments and how to adjust walks to suit people with a variety of needs. A couple of weeks later we will catch up again on Zoom to see how you are getting on.
During the course
We will explore the concept and issues around health walks. This includes:
- Understanding the benefits of activity and the positive impact on physical and mental health
- Understanding what a health walk is and how to run one
- Explore the paperwork, understand why it is required and how the data will be used
- Learn how to create a safe, effective route and carry out a risk assessment
- What adaptions we have made to be COVID safe
At the end of the training all trainees are given a progress card. To become a recognised Walking for Health walk leader and receive a certificate you will need to shadow a walk leader, then lead a walk whilst being observed by a trained walk leader.
After the course you can join our team of walk leaders to support our existing walks.
Or if you have ideas for starting a new walk, please talk to me about your plans. We always recommend that you have at least 3 walk leaders to make a ‘team’ associated with the group. We have found that this is necessary to ensure the walk is sustainable and can take place on a regular basis. But we may have other walk leaders who would like to join you in your venture! All walks will need to operate under Ramblers Walking for Health guidelines.
To book or for more information, please contact Jenny Budd.
Tel: 020 8269 4890